I love everything about this poem! One of my favorite aspects is the two grandmothers' characters, which are captured vividly in this work. For example, Lillie is described as having "pixied spirit" skip across her face, and loving dance even after polio left her legs paralyzed ("the dance--after illness--remained mostly in her eyes"). Sarah Ann is described as a woman who "lived in a shoe."
These descriptions tell a lot about each character; Lillie was lively even after paralysis, and Sarah Ann was perhaps more down to earth ("left her neck pearls behind"). I'm thinking the shoe phrase references the old nursery rhyme, implying that perhaps Sarah Ann had lots of children.
Other small details throughout the poem contribute to a sense of time, that these women led full lives. Lillie's recipe for French apple tarts became her daughter's, and now the narrator (Lillie's granddaughter) keeps the recipe herself.
I also appreciate how Bubalo is clear enough that I can follow the poem's narrative, but not so clear that she's spelling everything out for me. There's still a lot open to interpretation.
I agree! I think this is true of a lot of her work. The piece I interpreted, Untitled (Two Women, Two Babies), much like this poem is really simple so it can be interpreted in a number of ways. From what I read and saw of her work, it seems the simplicity actually gives rise to complexity and to a wealth of stories that inspired the piece. Thanks for your analysis Jake!
ReplyDeleteI also like the lively descriptions. She sees all this life where a less optimistic person might just see two older women struggling with sickness. Instead she chooses to brush over these details and imagine them as young women.
ReplyDeleteThe last few lines about time twists and Florence Nightingale puzzle me. Does anyone understand that?
A footnote explains that Sara Ann's daughters had to take care of her when she became bedridden for years, so I think it means that if her daughters had not been occupied with caring for their mother (a twist of fate) they might have sat at the tables of Kings, or distinguished themselves through service, such as Florence Nightingale (she was the first nurse) or Mother Theresa did. Though these names might also be referring to the fact that their energy was all spent nursing their mother in selfless service.
DeleteYes, i love that she uses such detail to bring them alive, but also makes the poem simple enough to let us into it. It allows us to fill the poem with our own thoughts and memories. Our own grandmothers. She depicts them how they are and also how others could be. Which is why its so relatable.
ReplyDeleteNice job of capturing the spirit of this poem, Jake, which is both appreciative and descriptive. I like the way she refers to them by the nicknames she has for them in these lines:
ReplyDeleteBoth Grandmother Flower and Grandmother
Abraham's wife -
so tastefully groomed you could neatly
spoon them up like soufflé.